Arts & Entertainment Community
Summer Sounds concerts and farmer’s market opening day announced
Summer approaches, and with it the return of two weekly staples that pack crowds into Skansie Brothers Park: The Summer Sounds concerts and the Waterfront Farmers Market.
The Summer Sounds concerts are on Tuesday evenings, starting July 11. The farmers market is on Thursday afternoons, starting June 1.
The market, sponsored by the Gig Harbor Downtown Waterfront Alliance, runs from 1 to 6 p.m. Thursdays, June 1 through Sept. 14.
Visitors can expect to find a wide variety of products, including farm-fresh fruits and vegetables, baked goods, honey, and flowers as well as more take away food options. Local artisans will showcase their crafts, such as handmade jewelry, pottery, and clothing.
A Kids Corner, with family-friendly activities and a weekly theme, also is planned.
“The market is a great way to support local farmers and businesses while enjoying the beautiful waterfront setting of downtown Gig Harbor,” said Downtown Waterfront Alliance Executive Director Carrianne Ekberg.
The market is still accepting applications for vendors and for volunteers. Contact Market Manager Tim Stubbs at [email protected] for information.
Summer Sounds concerts are held from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, July 11 through Aug. 29, at Skansie Brothers Park. The city of Gig Harbor announced the lineup last week:
- July 11: Beat Frequency, a high-energy dance band that appeared on Season 3 of The Voice.
- July 18: Casey & Company, with acoustic-driven Southern rock.
- July 25: The Jewel Tones, a Seattle-based Motown-inspired trio.
- Aug. 1: The Ante Up Band, which plays rock, pop, Reggae, country and just about every other genre. The Ante Up Band also plays the Farmers Market on July 20.
- Aug. 8: Good Day Sunshine, a five-piece Beatles tribute band
- Aug. 15: The Beatniks, Summer Sounds favorites who perform hits from the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s.
- Aug. 22: Ian Ayers and the Soul Purpose, a Tacoma-based Reggae quartet
- Aug. 29: Sounds Like Dolores, the Gig Harbor party band that routinely closes out Summer Sounds.