Arts & Entertainment Community News
Harbor Happenings: Register for the Gig Harbor Dragons
The Gig Harbor Dragons dragon boat team is looking for new members for 2023. Registration is open through Feb. 28.
The Dragons are organized through PenMet Parks. They practice several times a week in Gig Harbor bay, depending on the weather. They paddle for fun, and also participate in races and other events. It’s a great workout and a great way to make new friends.
A Dragon boat is a long, narrow boat with 10 to 20 paddlers, a steer person and a drummer in the bow to help the paddlers keep a steady rhythm. Dragon boat racing is a more than 2,000-year-old sport believed to have begun in southern China.
Get more information at www.gigharbordragons.com; click here to register.
Movies & other indoor fun
- Wednesday’s Flashback Cinema movie at the Galaxy Theater is “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” at 11:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Feb. 15. On Sunday, Feb. 19, it’s “Murder on the Orient Express” at noon and 6 p.m. Flashback Cinema movies are just $5.
- Ocean5 hosts weekly Bingo Night at 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays. It is free to play except for the last round, which is $5 per card. Proceeds are split half-and-half between the winner and the charity of the month.
- Ocean5 hosts a free Family Trivia Night at 7 p.m. on Thursdays. The winner gets a $50 gift card.
- Musicians, poets, jugglers, magicians and other entertainers are welcome at Kimball Coffeehouse’s Open Mic at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays.
- Sunrust plays at the Olalla Winery at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 17. Buy tickets here.
PenMet Parks’ Harbor Social Club meets at 10:30 a.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at Sehmel Park.
The club is for adults with intellectual and physical challenges. Social Club members walk on Sehmel’s easy trails, do sit-ercize exercises, dance and make crafts. Activities change each week and everything is free.
At the library
Did you know that the Gig Harbor Library is the most popular branch in the Pierce County library system? More people visit the Gig Harbor Library every year than any of the other 18 branches in Pierce County.
The Gig Harbor library, at 4424 Point Fosdick Road, offers weekly activities for toddlers, tweens, teens and adults.
- Teens, ages 12-18, get together after school every week for Teen Tuesdays. The countywide Teen Council meets virtually on Mondays (except Monday holidays) at 3:30 p.m. and Thursdays, 4-5 p.m. for games, event planning and working on library projects. Sign up here.
- Younger kids (age 5-12) get together for Chess Club at 5:45 p.m. on Thursdays.
- Toddlers and babies story times are at 10:15 a.m: Mondays (for ages 1-18 months) and Tuesdays for ages 2 and 3). In addition to stories, there are art activities, songs and other age-appropriate activities.
All events are free and no registration is required for in-person events.
Find more local events in Gig Harbor Now’s online calendar.