Community

Gig Harbor Now reporters cover community events and efforts that benefit and entertain the community.

Peninsula grad Hall Schmidt creating running lanes for Heisman candidate

Sep 27, 2024 | By:

The Boise State University football team has just cracked the nation’s top 25 college football rankings and features running back and Heisman Trophy candidate Ashton Jeanty, who is averaging a unbelievable 10.5 yards per carry. But even a running back as great as Jeanty depends on offensive lineman to block and provide space to run.

Read More

Sports Beat | New league, same success for girls soccer teams

Sep 26, 2024 | By:

The fall sports season has finally arrived and the Sports Beat is back to keep you in stride with the happenings of local high school athletes. The Gig Harbor Tides and Peninsula Seahawks have begun play in a new league. The old South Sound Conference merged with the former Piece County League to form the

Read More

Day Tripper | A spooky stop on our Puget Sound Loop

Sep 26, 2024 | By: Mary Williams

I admit it. I’m easily distracted. Staying focused is not my strong suit. Take last year, when I set out on a daytrip to Port Townsend to check out the place that’s reported to be one of the most haunted towns in the Pacific Northwest, if not the entire United States. Instead, I ended up

Read More

Wingnut Metal Works makes fine art from spare parts

Sep 26, 2024 | By:

Repurposing old, rusted metal into art that is both functional and decorative has been a hobby for Ray Swift since his high school days. Recently, Swift launched a business, Wingnut Metal Works, from his shop at his home on Raft Island. He learned to weld while working for a sculpture professor at Pacific Lutheran University

Read More

Public health leaders urge people to get COVID vaccines this fall

Sep 25, 2024 | By:

Less than 20% of Washingtonians got an updated COVID vaccine last year, Washington Department of Health says.

Read More

A candid discussion of mental health struggles and seeking help, in recognition of Suicide Prevention Month

Sep 24, 2024 | By: Carolyn Bick

Reader warning: This article contains discussion of suicide, suicidal ideation, eating disorders, and self-harm. Heather Arneson is the artist behind LIVEeachmoment Art, a small, mental health-focused art business Arneson opened in 2020. Arneson has struggled with her mental health for more than 15 years, and this decade-and-a-half’s worth of personal experience informs her work. In

Read More

Kitsap County warns of food deserts if Albertsons-Kroger merger proceeds

Sep 24, 2024 | By:

South Kitsap County would be even more of a food desert if the merger and resulting divestment goes forward, commissioners warn.

Read More

Harbor Happenings | Film Festival, Cider Swig and Pier Into the Night

Sep 24, 2024 | By:

The Greater Gig Harbor Foundation’s Cider Swig is Saturday in Tacoma while the first Pier Into the Night of the season is that evening.

Read More

Film festival headliner shines spotlight on a good coach who was also a good person

Sep 23, 2024 | By:

When a friend pitched him the idea of making a movie about former University of Washington football coach Don James, Kent Loomer was skeptical. He didn’t want to make a football movie. Nor did he want to make what he called a “puff piece.” But Mike Martin, a longtime friend and big-time Husky football fan,

Read More

Gig Harbor Now and Then | If only they had followed their own advice

Sep 23, 2024 | By: Greg Spadoni

Who knows how old these people would have turned if they hadn’t picked up a bad habit. And about that term, “would have turned …”

Read More