Community

Gig Harbor Now reporters cover community events and efforts that benefit and entertain the community.

Penrose State Park campground closure extended

May 10, 2023 | By:

The park in Lakebay on Key Peninsula will open to day use on May 15, but supply-chain issues on a septic repair project are holding up camping.

Read More

Harbor Happenings: First Spring Market is Saturday at Civic Center

May 10, 2023 | By:

More than 50 vendors will set up shop on the civic center green for the first Local Makers Spring Market on Saturday, May 13. It’s no coincidence that the event is scheduled for the day before Mother’s Day. Vendors from the Gig Harbor Local Makers group will sell handmade jewelry, soaps and lotions, candles, cookies

Read More

Wellness Wednesday: Mental Health Awareness Month

May 10, 2023 | By: Scot Fleshman

The Wellness Wednesday column is written by Scot Fleshman, an advanced registered nurse practitioner and board-certified family nurse practitioner. Fleshman and his wife, Jessica Hopkins, own Gig Harbor Primary Care. Mental Health Awareness Month has been observed in the U.S. for 73 years, and the need for awareness has only grown since then. Throughout the month of May,

Read More

RipTides lacrosse forms winning squad with players from both local schools

May 09, 2023 | By:

The Peninsula School District RipTides, a girls lacrosse team that includes players from both local high schools, used team chemistry and an aggressive style to win their league. Now they head into the state tournament on a hot streak. The RipTides (8-3-1 overall, 6-0 league) employed a suffocating defense and constant ball movement to overwhelm

Read More

Students of Distinction awards ceremony is May 17

May 08, 2023 | By:

The 2023 Students of Distinction awards ceremony is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 17, at the Ocean5 banquet room, 5268 Pt. Fosdick Dr. The awards honor about 36 graduating seniors from Henderson Bay, Gig Harbor and Peninsula high schools. Teachers, peers, community members or parents nominate award winners in seven categories: academics; athletics; career

Read More

Students learning mental health first aid

May 08, 2023 | By:

Editor’s note: This story deals with mental health issues, including suicide. If you or someone you know needs help, text HOME to 741741, the Crisis Text Line, or call or text 988, the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. When someone is having a heart attack, most people know to call 911 and start CPR. But what

Read More

Sports Beat: Gig Harbor soccer finishes unbeaten regular season

May 05, 2023 | By:

The Gig Harbor boys soccer team finished the regular season with a perfect 16-0 record and a convincing 5-1 win over Peninsula on May 2. Now the Tides (16-0, 14-0 South Sound Conference) open the postseason against North Thurston at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 6, at Roy Anderson Field. Brackets are set to start District

Read More

Two in Tow & On the Go: A family-friendly day at Tacoma’s Cheney Stadium

May 05, 2023 | By:

Remember that time I told you I wasn’t particularly sporty? Well, I can now say the tides – they are a turnin’ because I’ve been to what (I think) is my very first professional baseball game! Here’s why seeing the Rainiers at Tacoma’s Cheney Stadium could be your family’s next favorite thing to do.

Read More

Gig Harbor Police Blotter: Burglary suspect says officers are cosmonauts

May 04, 2023 | By:

Editor’s note: The Blotter is written based on information provided by Gig Harbor Police and Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One. An 80-year-old homeowner called police after finding a woman he didn’t know sleeping on the floor near his couch around 11 a.m. April 27. The man told police he had been home all day, but didn’t hear the woman

Read More

Gig Harbor YMCA pool closed from May 8 through June 26

May 04, 2023 | By:

The closure of the aquatics center at the Tom Taylor Family YMCA in Gig Harbor will no doubt stifle early-summer fun for some families. But when it reopens near the end of June, it’ll be like a breath of fresh air. Literally. In addition to a new roof over the pool area, the aquatics center

Read More